'''Embarrassed'' doing something you never done

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

Context:

A person has never done something before. Then a friend asks him to do it and the person says: "I'm embarrassed doing this. I've never done this before.''

My question: Is the sentence below, with "feeling" embarrassed "about", a synonymous sentence to the one above mentioned?

-> ''I'm feeling embarrassed about doing this. I've never done this before.''

Thank you in advance!

• hyperslow

Polish
    You may feel embarrassed about your own reaction. You may feel embarrassed about having reacted in such a violent way.
    You may feel embarrassed by somebody's remark.
    You may be embarrassed to accept the money.
    You may embarrass somebody with a compliment.

cheers

hyperslow

Polish
    Well, I've never thought of it since I am very 'overcorrect';) at using prepositions. My answer to your question is: yes. I'm so embarrassed doing it. I'm so embarrassed saying it.

Let's wait for more from natives.
    cheers

The Prof

Can I say "embarrassed doing" as a synonym to "feeling embarrased about doing" when you have never done before?

Thank you in advance!
    To me, "embarrassed doing" expresses how you feel / felt while doing the thing in question, whereas "embarrassed about doing something" can describe how the idea or thought of doing something makes you feel. However, this is just my personal distinction and not necessarily one that other native speakers recognise. A lot would depend on the context in which it was used.

embarrassed about doing something" can describe how the idea or thought of doing something makes you feel
    Yes, your suggestion makes perfect sense. When you want to talk about something "you've never done" the best option is to use "embarrassed about".

"Oh, I'm embarrassed about going there because I've never been there before.''

Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >