embody

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
"A new president tries to embody a new spirit during his first term in office."
I understand like this:
"A new president tries to express himself with a new spirit during his first term in office."
Am I right?
Thank you very much.

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    "A new president tries to embody a new spirit during his first term in office."
    I understand like this:
    "A new president tries to express himself with a new spirit during his first term in office."
    Am I right?
    Thank you very much.
    I think, mimi2, that it is more like "A new president tries to get the people to see him as a figurehead of a new approach to (life/problems/everything) during his first term in office."

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    I think, mimi2, that it is more like "A new president tries to get the people to see him as a figurehead of a new approach to (life/problems/everything) during his first term in office."
    Hi, maxiogee.
    Thank you very much.
    Do you mean it is the leader?

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Hi:
    Yes, that's the result of embodiment. I edited my last post a bit. I guess such embodiment has to be achieved by carrying out specific plans.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Hi, maxiogee.
    Thank you very much.
    Do you mean it is the leader?
    Not quite - more like a 'figurehead' - the carving of a person (usually a woman) on the prow of a ship, which was meant to signify the 'spirit' of the ship.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Ah, I understand clearly now. Thank you, maxiogee and hly, very much.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    A good word for embody is exemplify. Using "figurehead" as a metaphor implies something less important or even real.

If you embody something, you represent it in an exemplary way-- though it's possible to be the embodiment of something good or evil.

< Previous | Next >