Embrace the suck

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
Term: embrace the suck

Your definition or explanation: See "Example".

Example: (Unfortunately, the issue of the publication in which this expression was written seems to have beeen thrown out, so I'll have to rely on my memory): "The US servicemen in [...] Iraq use an expression, "embrace the suck (my underlining)". Translation: Times may be hard, but you've got to roll with it." - So the explanation was given in the article.

One or more places you have seen the term: I'm pretty certain it was in TIME magazine, and it appeared in, I believe, the July 21, 2014 issue.

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries? Yes __X__ No ___

Have you found it? Yes ____ No _X__

• swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hi,

I was able to find this (emphasis added):
    Beltway Clerk (n., slang): a derisive term for a Washington political operative; may refer to ‘defense experts’ who have never served in the armed forces. This definition comes from a dictionary of military slang called Embrace the Suck. The author, Austin Bay, writes here about the collection and the importance of “milspeak”–military slang–in an article for the Chicago Tribune. Embrace the suck is an Operation Iraqi Freedom phrase meaning to accept the difficulties of war. Or as Bay puts it elsewhere, “Face it, soldier. I’ve been there. This ain’t easy. Now let’s deal with it.”

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/22/wednesday-words-legitimate-rape-tv-slang-and-more/

< Previous | Next >