embrace the values (of a country)

k_georgiadis

English (AE)
Speaking of a person who immigrated to a new country and later became a citizen, ...he wholeheartedly embraced the values of his adoptive country. By values we understand the social and political standards of the country.

Abbracciato i valori? Adottato i valori? (I have not yet seen adottare used in this context and I doubt that it applies at all)

• byrne

English - UK (Londoner)
    Ciao Underhouse, trovo che to embrace ha un significato più forte rispetto a condividere. Embrace means to make thoes values ones own (not just share them).... Abbracciare non va proprio?

underhouse

Italian
    Ciao Underhouse, trovo che to embrace ha un significato più forte rispetto a condividere. Embrace means to make thoes values ones own (not just share them).... Abbracciare non va proprio?
    Ciao byrne,

abbracciare può andare solo che non è molto usato a mio modesto avviso...Forse, meglio, sposare i valori, ma penso che la traduzione migliore possa dipendere dal contesto...

P.S.
    Mentre non userei adottare...

byrne

English - UK (Londoner)
    Abbracciare può andare solo che non è molto usato a mio modesto avviso...Forse, meglio, sposare i valori, ma penso che la traduzione migliore possa dipendere dal contesto...
    I like sposare as another term I'd use here in English is espouse... (and your opinion is anything but modesto:cool:), which in the given context might fit I think..

< Previous | Next >