embroidered as descriptive adjective

< Previous | Next >

Linkway

British English
"T-Shirt Printing & Embroidered Clothing by ShirtWorks" (Source: www.shirtworks.co.uk)

Although the above seems perfectly OK to my eyes and ears, I cannot find 'embroidered' as a descriptive adjective in the WR or any of the several other dictionaries that I have checked.

If there is anything even slightly odd about the above use, is there a better way to describe the type of corporate and sports shirts that have company, club or team logos/emblems stitched into the garment afterwards as a separate process from the original manufacture of the garment in question?

By '
descriptive adjective' I mean, for example: 'an embroidered golf jacket' or 'an embroidered football shirt' or 'an embroidered hoodie'.

I guess part of my concern is that the phrase 'embroidered dress' would suggest an all-over patterning design e.g. floral; what I am asking about is different - specifically the type of plain shirt, jacket or other garment which has had a (usually small) logo/emblem etc added by embroidering.

Last edited:
  • Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    [...] I cannot find 'embroidered' as a descriptive adjective in the WR or any of the several other dictionaries that I have checked.
    I think that this is simply because dictionaries assume it to be implicit in their entries for the verb embroider. As with many verbs, the past participle also serves as an adjective.

As for the distinction of embroidery being added as a separate process from the actual manufacture of the garment (or any other cloth item), I'd say that's the case with all embroidery. It may be done by the garment manufacturer, or by someone else, but it's always added afterwards as a separate process.

I don't think the term embroidered necessarily suggests the amount of embroidery. It's often obvious from the context: an embroidered bedspread is likely to be all-over, an embroidered hankie would probably have just an embroidered edge or a single motif. In cases where it could be ambiguous, an extra description might be needed: an embroidered emblem, motif, badge, hem, edge, seam, pocket, lapel ... or whatever.

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >