Eminem

jonnywalker

Banned
London
Hi, i was asking myself...Does an english/american mothertongue really understand at first what eminem sings in his songs without reading lyrics??
I understand something but not everything he speaks too fast.

• andrew0991

USA- English + Cantonese + French + Spanish + Italian
    I personally understand what he says in his songs without lyrics. It's something you get accustomed to after listening to English your entire life. Perhaps you may not understand so much of it because he does speak American English, but I'm pretty sure that if you listened to his songs for a long period of time you'd understand it clearly.

timpeac

English (England)
    I have no trouble understanding him - and I'm sure I've never bothered to look up the lyrics (that said perhaps I've been misunderstanding what he's saying! - he thinks his mom's a real titch, right?)

Cracker Jack

Pardon me for the intrusion. I am not a native English speaker. But through all the years that I have studied, read, listened to and watched materials in English, I have developed listening comprehension that has enabled me to understand him.

There are words and phrases he uses that at times I don't easily pick-up. However, the context helps me. Those that I do not understand are colloquialisms. But mostly his lyrics are vulgar and not meant for minors.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Is this a question about how a single entertainer pronounces or mispronounces English...or is there an implied question somehow pertinent to this language forum?

Victoria32

English (UK) New Zealand
    Hi, i was asking myself...Does an english/american mothertongue really understand at first what eminem sings in his songs without reading lyrics??
    I understand something but not everything he speaks too fast.
    I am with you, jonnywalker... but that applies to a lot of singers/rappers. (I can understand some Germans and Italians better than some performing in English.)

There's a whole bunch of web sites out there that deal with misheard lyrics. :)

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    I can understand 99% of what he says, unless it's some inside joke he has with someone that makes no sense in or out of context.

"Forgot about Dre" I could understand, but I needed to look up the lyrics to get every detail right when I was 15 or 16.