emotional character arc

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
"I think sticking to the emotional character arc was the most important thing, yet we had so much story to tell and it was great story."

Hello everone, can you tell me what does "emotional character arc" mean? I know "arc" only from B.Obama's speech, arc of history..., then I put it in dictionary, I didn't see what I want, would you please give me some hints?​

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Silver. I think we need more context to give you a good answer. What is the speaker talking about, a movie? A novel? Was the speaker talking about the characters in a drama before mentioning "the emotional character arc"?

Ihsiin

English
    It sounds like in this context, "arc" is referring to an element of a story.
    So, by "emotional character arc" he's talking about a an aspect of a story (maybe a subplot) that deals with an emotional character.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Well, it seems that I quoted it from VOA, Let me see.

"I think sticking to the emotional character arc was the most important thing, yet we had so much story to tell and it was great story," notes Slade. "I think the hardest thing was combining those two things and then figure out what the hell we were going to jettison. That went from pre-production through shooting and through editorial: how do we get this down into a movie and still have all the salient points, not detract from the main story and pay respect to the source material? It is the dichotomy between such great content and story and how you shave off without hurting."

The red part shall be part of the context, and if you like reading the full part, you can google it, it is from VOA.

Here is the address:http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/language_tips/auvideo/2010-07/08/content_10083381.htm

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    This seems to say that they were most concerned with evoking emotions from their audience towards their characters. Here an "emotional character arc" could refer to making the audience feel a range of emotions as they watch the characters perform. Some of the characters could be quite likable, for example, and then get killed at the end of the movie. This would describe an "emotional character arc" which goes from happy to sad.

< Previous | Next >