emotional health

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
"Having a best friend to confide in can bring a positive effect on our emotional health."
I am wondering about “emotional health”. Is it correct?
Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi,
    "Having a best friend to confide in can bring a positive effect on our emotional health."
    I am wondering about “emotional health”. Is it correct?
    Thanks.
    "emotional health" is just fine, Mimi. What is incorrect in your sentence is your use of the word "bring". You either "bring" something "to" something or you "have" a positive effect "on" something. Your sentence needs to be one or the other of:

"Having a best friend to confide in can have a positive effect on our emotional health." OR

"Having a best friend to confide in can bring a positive effect to our emotional health"

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    "emotional health" is just fine, Mimi. What is incorrect in your sentence is your use of the word "bring". You either "bring" something "to" something or you "have" a positive effect "on" something. Your sentence needs to be one or the other of:

"Having a best friend to confide in can have a positive effect on our emotional health." OR

"Having a best friend to confide in can bring a positive effect to our emotional health"
    Dimcl.
    I didn't notice it but I think it is very important to write a correct sentence.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, tinlizzy.
    Because I am not familiar with "emotional health". Why not trying "emotion' alone?
    You could use "emotions" and it wouldn't be incorrect. The difference in meaning would be that "emotions" are all the emotions that we feel as human beings. To say that having a friend to confide in can have a positive effect on our emotions is not wrong but the concept of "emotional health" is more all-encompassing and is similar to talking about our "physical health". Instead of focusing on all the parts of our body, we use the phrase "physical health" to encompass all of it.

Your "emotional health" is the same idea - it is the state of all those emotions - are they healthy emotions or are you a short-tempered, angry, impatient person? If so, your all-round "emotional health" isn't very good.

< Previous | Next >