emotional hook

Honza

Czech / Czech Republic
Hello,
could you please explain me what I should imagine under the syntagm emotional hook as used in this passage:

From a systems perspective, the activities of leadership (gaining influence, moderating tension, generating ideas ...) and branding (developing a consistent value proposition and emotional hook, reflecting the value and hook across all activities, updating as necessary) are the same for an organization as for an individual.

Thank you very much for any suggestion, reformulation, example or idea...

• James Brandon

English + French - UK
    This is an awful and obscure piece of jargon that you are quoting, I'm afraid. Having said all that, I would not say "emotional hook" is such a common phrase. I understand it to mean that you play with a person's emotions in order to relate to them, to influence them, to get them to do what you want, etc. Cf the expression, "to be hooked" (on drugs for instance) = to be attached to something and dependent upon it.

Other contributors may have further / better insight to offer...

PS It comes from a book on marketing and/or management, doesn't it?

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    A "hook" is a regular term used in marketing and business to refer to trying to secure customer loyalty, or repeat business. In movies and books it can refer to the tricks used to catch your attention in the opening scenes and stop you putting the book back on the shop shelf, or walking out of the theater.
    "An emotional hook" might well be something like the re-branding which a major retailer on the east of the Atlantic, Marks & Spencer, is currently trying to employ. They have taken to referring to themselves as "Your M&S" in all their printed material, and I have just heard on Sky News that they are about to put that name on at least one of their shops in place of their established name. This is an obvious attempt to carve themselves a place in our hearts. Emotional if nothing else.

sbaustin

English / USA
    I believe that typically in marketing when a company wants to create their brand or image they want to appeal to your emotions. I understand Emotional hook as the actual part of the brand that draws you in at an emotional level.

For instance if you create a commercial with a baby and during the commercial the baby takes its first steps which may place a smile on your face you could say that the emotional hook is the baby taking its first steps because that is appealing to your emotions and what the company wants you to remember when you think about their product.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually works in marketing on this one.

Honza

Czech / Czech Republic
    Thank you all! In fact, the passage is from a book on pedagogy, but the author used many examples from the domain of marketing. Thank you for your comments and examples. They confirmed my original understanding of the emotional hook. The language of marketing seems to be full of these terms which are very difficult to translate. In my mother tongue, we often leave them untranslated (i.e. in English, even if not this particular one), it looks awfully.

James Brandon

English + French - UK
    The vocabulary and the concepts of marketing and advertising (often of American origin) have spread to (and infected) other fields, including education (also in the UK) and journalism. This is a good example. Their transfer is often artificial since they come from a profit-seeking kind of activity. The results are clear, in the UK, as far as education policy is concerned. "League tables", for instance, are meant to introduce an element of competition among secondary schools.

mjscott

American English
    League tables? I think there were the emotional hooks of playing for your alma mater, your patria, for the folks at home--clear back at the original Greek Olympics.

Yes, they are infusing business and school. What research has shown is that hesitant purchasers will often take a chance with a bigger purchase if they can be hooked emotionally into making the purchase. If they know their infant will be in the safest car on the road if they purchase a Volvo; if they know that they'll always have a place for Granny if they buy the house with the little garden house in back, then they're more likely to commit to buying. It is about the same with students. Unless they are emotionally tied to the result or can see how it will change their personal life, they are sometimes unemotional as to whether they are succeeding in school or not--especially if education is not a big value in their present family. They must have an emotional hook to buy into what they're learning.

James Brandon

English + French - UK
    "To buy into what one is learning" - another example of education being approached as if it were a sales-related issue. But we are straying here from the initial post and into "cultural" territory... :)

< Previous | Next >