"emotionally engaging originating event"

< Previous | Next >

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
Hello everyone:

How to understand "emotionally engaging originating event" in following sentences?

Centuries ago, Aristotle noted in his book Poetics that while a story does have a beginning, a middle and an ending, the beginning is not simply the first event in a series of three, but rather the emotionally engaging originating event. The middle is the natural and causally related consequence, and the end is the inevitable conclusive event.

The source is from WritersDigest and the page is THE 5 ESSENTIAL STORY INGREDIENTS .
Thanks in advance

• KHS

My interpretation is that the beginning event is something that gets your attention, and causes you to feel an emotional connection to the event which makes you want to continue reading (or listening).

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
    My interpretation is that the beginning event is something that gets your attention, and causes you to feel an emotional connection to the event which makes you want to continue reading (or listening).
    Thanks for your explanation.

Can I say the beginning starts with the initial event that make readers emotionally engaged?

< Previous | Next >