emotions /your emotions/the emotions

lingkky

chinese
Hello, everyone.
Do we need something like "your" or "the" before the noun "emotions" as in the conversation below?

Doctor: What is problem?
A: I can't sleep well?
Doctor: It may be due to your/ the emotions.

What is difference between having and not having "your" or "the" before the noun "emotions"?
Would the statement be more general without these words?

• dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    "Your emotions" is normal here. Each person has different emotions. "The emotions" would make no sense here.

The doctor could omit "your" and say "It may be due to emotions." We would understand he means A's emotions.

le avocado

Vietnamese
    Can we use "the emotions" to make a general statement like this:

I found this sentence in a book:
    (1)Essential oils work profoundly on the emotions, serving as a nerve tonic and as a sedative.

Is it correct if i use as below:
    (2)Essential oils work profoundly on emotions, serving as a nerve tonic and as a sedative.
    (3)Essential oils work profoundly on the emotion, serving as a nerve tonic and as a sedative.

le avocado

Vietnamese
    My grammar book writes:
    Sometimes we talk about things in general by using "the" with a singular countable noun.
    Example: Schools should concentrate more on the child and less on exams.

This means If I want to make a general statement with "the", then the noun should be in the singular form.
    So that, it should be " the emotion", not "the emotions" as in (1).

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    Sometimes we talk about things in general by using "the" with a singular countable noun.
    This is not one of those times. So this "sometimes" doesn't apply here.

Here is how English-speakers think: every person has more than one "emotion" at any time. Nobody ever has one (and only one) emotion for hours. So essential oils (or candles) affect one person's emotions. They cannot affect a person's single emotion because a person can't have a single emotion.

le avocado

Vietnamese
    (1)Essential oils work profoundly on the emotions, serving as a nerve tonic and as a sedative.

Is it correct if i use as below:
    (2)Essential oils work profoundly on emotions, serving as a nerve tonic and as a sedative.
    Anh difference in the nuances of these 2 sentences or the difference in the emphasis ?

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I found this sentence in a book:
    Where did you find this? “work profoundly on the emotions” sounds odd to me.

elroy

For me it’s “profoundly” and “work on.” “the emotions” is fine.

le avocado

Vietnamese
    Hi,
    I am reading a book named "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy" by Valerie Ann Worwood.

Please refer the picture.

I don't have any questions about these words you mentioned, but I would like to know what is the difference of emphasis between "the emotions" and "emotions". 😁

Attachments

• es1.JPG
      es1.JPG
      53 KB · Views: 6

elroy

The difference is only a nuance:

the emotions = the emotions that any given person has

emotions = emotions in general

suzi br

English / England
    Where did you find this? “work profoundly on the emotions” sounds odd to me.
    It’s quite possible that a lot of this book might sound odd!

Edit: disclaimer, this is actually a book I own and use. But sometimes it does seem more like faith than science.