empaille des chèvres

SydneyBox

English -Ireland
Bonjour.
From a scene played for comedic effect in the TV series “Les Bleus, premiers pas dans la police” . A rather silly policeman ( with his own issues) loses patience with a stereotypical mother who constantly interferes in her son’s life and shouts at her angrily :-

«Vous avez vu dans quel état est votre fils? Toute cette frustration accumulée par votre faute. Vous voulez qu’il reste puceau jusqu'à la fin de sa vie ? Ou qu’il empaille des chèvres ?» He then shouts something that I can’t make out ending in what sounds like en grève

Is “empaille des chèvres “ a reference to bestiality ? (sheep shagging as some might say in English) or slang for an an unfulfilled life of masturbation? Or does he mean a sad withdrawal to a world of taxidermy?
Merci

• Kajeetah

French - France
    I don't know! Goats are not a common subject in taxidermy I think. So either it refers to something else, either this animal was a deliberate choice to sound more unexpected.

No sex with human beings + chèvre leads automatically to the idea of sheep shagging, except in France we use (the word) goat. But not with "empailler"! Are you sure that's what the character said? If he did say "empailler", here's my analysis:

No direct reference to "goat shagging" because it's too crude, so they speak about the "sad withdrawal to a world of taxidermy" as you said, but using the name of an animal that will lead to the idea of "goat shagging", on the part of the audience.
    :confused:

atcheque

français (France)
    Bonjour,

J'aurais dit empale des chèvres mais c'est peut-être prétentieux ;)
    Je comprends clairement une référence à la bestialité.

Philippides

Français - France
    Cette expression "empailler des chèvres" n'est pas commune. Je la comprends toutefois comme "sheep shagging".
    En France, il y a une référence classique, c'est celle de la Légion Étrangère qui trompe l'ennui et le manque de femmes avec des chèvres.

Uncle Bob

British English
    "stuffing goats" is ambivalent so you can leave it to the audience to decide, while "stuffing sheep" would be less ambivalent.

Last edited:

SydneyBox

English -Ireland
    Are you sure of "empaille" ?
    Yes according to the subtitles. The policeman leaves, slamming the door and the mother asks his female colleague « Pourquoi mon fils irait empailler des chèvres ? » She replies « Je sais pas. Je vois pas pourquoi Il vous a dit ça »

I thought the policewoman was pretending not to know but maybe the pharase has no real meaning

atcheque

français (France)
    Peut-être un jeu de mot pour faire comprendre à la mère, alors simplement ;) L'idée d'Uncle Bob me plaît :)

SydneyBox

English -Ireland
    Merci a tous
    The policeman. a charming but rather silly intellectual with his own dominant mother, does not really fit in well into the world of "les bleus". He probably tries too hard to be " one of the boys" with his attempts at slang. Amusing though:)

< Previous | Next >