Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by nachi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. nachi Member

    Colombia - Español
    Hi everybody,

    I am struggling with a word used in the printing field. The word is "empastelamiento" and it means "revolver los tipos de un molde de modo que no formen sentido", something like blending the mold features so that they are unclear.

    It is not related to typography, but to watermark printing.

    The sentence is: "presenta empastelamiento por baja definición, en partes como barba y cabello", and my try is "wrong blending due to low definition in parts such as beard and hear", but I am not sure about "wrong blending" for "empastelamiento".

    Appreciate any help.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  2. nachi Member

    Colombia - Español
    I made a mistake in the previous post. I meant "hair" instead of "hear". Sorry.
  3. k-in-sc

    k-in-sc Senior Member

    Referring to an image, right? Not words? Then I don't think it means "pied type" here, just "blurring."
    Watermark printing? The only watermarks I know of in printing are the images formed in paper during its manufacture.
  4. Peter P

    Peter P Senior Member

    Moa, Cuba
    Español - Cuba
    I am in the same track like k-in-sc. I thought the word is used figuratively since it is related to image or painting I think.
    But I find this:
    empaste - blending of colours - (Simon and Schuster dictionary.)

    impasto - n. /Art. 1a. the process of laying on paint thickly. b. the paint so applied. 2. this technique of painting. [Italian impasture (as in-2, pasture paste)]. (Canadian Oxford Dictionary)

    impasto n. Painting.1. the laying on of paint thickly. 2. the paint so laid on. (The Random House unabridged Electronic Dictionary)

    So I think the word might be impasto.

    Peter P
  5. k-in-sc

    k-in-sc Senior Member

    As far as I know, "impasto" is only a painting technique.
  6. nachi Member

    Colombia - Español
    Thank you both for your help and sorry for the late reply. Yes, it was related to an image, and the word I used in the translation was "blurring". It perfectly fit the context.

    I was referring to banknote watermarks, so I should have said "watermark production" instead of "watermark printing".

    Impasto, as k-in-sc said, is more a technique, while "empastelamiento" in this context referred to a mistake in the watermark that affected its definition.

    But thank you both again.

Share This Page