emphasis mine

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
In English, if when you're writing something you cite a text but italicize certain words that you wish to emphasize but were not italicized in the original text, you normally add "emphasis mine" in parentheses after the text.

How would you express that in German? I guess "meine Betonung" would be a literal translation, but I'm wondering if there's a more conventional set phrase used for such purposes.

Thanks in advance.

• Ralf

German
    Ich habe verschiedentlich "(Hervorhebungen durch den Autor)" - ebenfalls in Klammern - vor oder nach entsprechend gekennzeichneten Zitaten gefunden.

Ralf

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Thanks, Ralf. "Durch den Autor" sounds a little too formal to me; could I say "durch mich"? Or does that sound too informal in German?

It's just that I'm interested in using the phrase myself, in a short essay I'm writing, and at least in English it would sound kind of presumptuous to call myself the "author."

What would you suggest?

Ralf

German
    "... durch den Autor" is in fact downright formal. You will find it in scientific papers, thesis or literary essays. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with your "... durch mich" alternative. Although in informal writing it is not that common to "justify" such emphasis in German--perhaps because they are not implicitly regarded as infringement of copyrights. However, it is a manifestation of good style and respectfulness to the original author quoted.

Ralf

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    elroy said:
    Thanks, Ralf. "Durch den Autor" sounds a little too formal to me; could I say "durch mich"? Or does that sound too informal in German?

It's just that I'm interested in using the phrase myself, in a short essay I'm writing, and at least in English it would sound kind of presumptuous to call myself the "author."

What would you suggest?
    If it is used in a personal essay that you are not writing for public, you can use "Hervorhebung durch mich" (often it is omitted, though). In newspapers or something else that is written for public, I'd use Ralf's suggestion: "Hervorhebung durch (den) Autor" ("den" can be left out).

Sometimes you may see these words in brackets, but it's okay to use parentheses.

Kajjo

Ich finde "Hervorhebungen durch mich" sehr ungewohnt und unverständlich. Ein solcher Zusatz ist per se sehr formal und gehoben und dann sollte man sich auch an die typische Fassung "(Hervorhebung durch den Verfasser/den Autor/die Redaktion)" halten.

Der Ersatz von "Autor" durch "Redaktion" würde die persönliche Betonung abschwächen. Alternativ kann man sehr gut (und weit verbreitet!) statt "Autor" auch "Verfasser" schreiben. Dies erhebt ebenfalls nicht den gleichen literarischen Anspruch wie "Autor".

(Hervorhebungen durch den Verfasser)

Kajjo

< Previous | Next >