emphasis on encouraging reflection as a prerequisite for

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Transformative learning’s emphasis on encouraging reflection as a prerequisite for promoting action, examining underlying assumptions and beliefs, reframing one’s interpretation of experiences to develop new meaning, and co-creating the learning experience are all premises and practices of coaching.
(The Process of Highly Effective Coaching; Robert F. Hicks)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it is possible to read it in either of the two following ways:

1) Transformative learning’s emphasis on encouraging reflection as a prerequisite for promoting action, [for] examining underlying assumptions and beliefs, [for] reframing one’s interpretation of experiences to develop new meaning, and [for] co-creating the learning experience are all premises and practices of coaching.

2) Transformative learning’s emphasis on encouraging reflection as a prerequisite for promoting action, [on] examining underlying assumptions and beliefs, [on] reframing one’s interpretation of experiences to develop new meaning, and [on] co-creating the learning experience are all premises and practices of coaching.

Thanks.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The sentence is appallingly written!

My first reading of it was:

Transformative learning’s emphasis on
    (i) encouraging reflection as a prerequisite for promoting action,
    (ii) [on] examining underlying assumptions and beliefs,
    (iii) [on] reframing one’s interpretation of experiences to develop new meaning,
    (iv) and [on] co-creating the learning experience

are all premises and practices of coaching.

This reduces to

"Transformative learning’s emphasis on [...several things...] are all premises and practices of coaching", which, as you will see, has an error, and should be
    "Transformative learning’s emphasis on [...several things...] which are all premises and practices of coaching."

I'm not sure why, but this seems to be the more natural meaning - probably because {encouraging reflection as a prerequisite for promoting action} seems more probable than {a prerequisite for promoting verbing several things} in which the two "-ing"s are awkward.

< Previous | Next >