emphatic, or perhaps just resigned

Later that evening, Robespierre allowed the Committee to add Danton's
name to the list of the proscribed. Before, he had violently opposed it - now
he agreed. His signature on the warrant for the arrest of Danton and his
followers was tiny: eleven tight letters and half a neat line underlining them
- emphatic, or perhaps just resigned.--from<Fatal Purity-Robespierre and the French Revolution>by Ruth Scurr

I have no idea of the meaning of "emphatic, or perhaps just resigned" in this phrase . Could be a signature "resigned"? Can anybody help me? many thanks.

• heypresto

English - England
    I think it is questioning the underlining of the signature. Did it signify Robespierre's wholehearted agreement to the arrest of Danton, or that he was signing against his will - that he was 'resigned' to the fact that he had no choice but to sign.

perpend

Banned
    American English

- emphatic, or perhaps just resigned.--from<Fatal Purity-Robespierre and the French Revolution>by Ruth Scurr

I have no idea of the meaning of "emphatic, or perhaps just resigned" in this phrase . Could be a signature "resigned"? Can anybody help me? many thanks.
    I understand it as: either adding emphasis or maybe just showing resignation

It refers to the style/manner of his signature.

littlemonyou

Korean
    My dictionary says :
    If you are resigned to an unpleasant situation or fact, you accept it without complaining because you realize that you cannot change it.

< Previous | Next >