employee that accompanies the elderly

< Previous | Next >

Du_sud

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello, everybody!

What do you call in the USA someone who works and, therefore gets paid, just to provide company for an elderly woman or elderly man in their house, when they live on their own? Not a nurse or a maid.

Is there a specific name for that? I thought about "lady in waiting" but what if it's a man? Also, it seems this word is old-fashioned and used only for the "royals". I also thought about "chaperone", but form what I could check, it is a woman who accompanies a young woman in public...

Thank you all.

• LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    It could be called a home health aide, elderly care, in a broader sense - as a profession, or a companion, but a companion usually involves more of entertaining than medical care, or taking care of the person's house.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    I wrote aide. I fixed it right away. I stayed misspelled for one second. Well, in New York it has to do with some entertaining, or, to put it in better words, companionship. Companions mostly talk to elderly, go to lunches with them, go to exhibitions and to the theatre. Caregivers and home health aides take care of them. Things can very, of course.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    I wrote aide. I fixed it right away. I stayed misspelled for one second. Well, in New York it has to do with some entertaining, or, to put it in better words, companionship. Companions mostly talk to elderly, go to lunches with them, go to exhibitions and to the theatre. Caregivers and home health aides take care of them. Things can very, of course.
    The link I provided earlier (http://www.4homehelp.com/FAQ/ec3.cfm) describes exactly what you're talking about...and what I'm referring to. They use the words "caregiver" and "companion" interchangeably.

And playing games with the elderly can qualify as "entertaining" them, so I apologize in that regard.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >