emprendedor/resourceful

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by mancunienne girl, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mancunienne girl Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Hi. I wish to use the word "resourceful" in the context of someone in a given job who can get on with things themselves, without being shown how to do things all the time, and who can work on his/her own initiative. I am not sure whether "emprendedor" works here. I would prefer an adjective, rather than an adjectival phrase but can't think of the most apt word.

2. maidinbedlam

maidinbedlam Moderanged

Vigo, Galicia
    Spanish - Spain
    "A resourceful person" would be "una persona de recursos", but, if you are looking for an adjective, maybe in this context you could use "resuelto" or "desenvuelto".

3. mancunienne girl Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Gracias. "Resuelto" me suena bien.

4. Carmen Carmona Senior Member

Britain
    Panocho Spanish
    'Una persona emprendedora' is a great choice according to your description. This is actually the definition provided by WR:

adj. Que emprende con resolución acciones dificultosas.

However, 'to be entrepreneurial' involves setting up a business in English. Thus, would you translate the Spanish term as 'resourceful'? is there any other word in English which can convey the meaning that mancunienne girl depicted?

Thanks

5. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Informally you could call them a "go-getter."

6. Carmen Carmona Senior Member

Britain
    Panocho Spanish
    In the only English forum I've been suggested 'enterprising' and 'self-starter'.