EN: accepter qu'ils soient

Jobneed

France
Hello,

I have several difficulties in the same sentence :
"Cependant, il faut accepter que les fonctions moins prioritaires soient interrompues"

I've tried:
"Therefore, this means accept that less important functions can be interrupted"

Is that correct?

Thanks

• SteveD

British English
    Hello,

I have several difficulties in the same sentence :
    "Cependant, il faut accepter que les fonctions moins prioritaires soient interrompues"

I've tried:
    "Therefore, this means accept that less important functions can be interrupted"

Is that correct?

Thanks
    This would be better:

"However, it must be accepted that the less important functions will be interrupted."

Jobneed

France
    Merci
    Je n'osais pas le "it must be accepted" qui parait être du "mot à mot"...
    En revanche, j'ai un doute sur le "will be" : dans la phrase en français, il y a l'idée qu'elles "pourraient être interrompues" mais ce n'est pas sûr.
    Est-ce que "will be" ne traduit pas l'idée qu'il y aura forcément une interruption ?

SteveD

British English
    Merci
    Je n'osais pas le "it must be accepted" qui parait être du "mot à mot"...
    En revanche, j'ai un doute sur le "will be" : dans la phrase en français, il y a l'idée qu'elles "pourraient être interrompues" mais ce n'est pas sûr.
    Est-ce que "will be" ne traduit pas l'idée qu'il y aura forcément une interruption ?
    As usual, it probably depends on the context and how "black and white" the statement is.

If it is a formal instruction, I don't really see any problem with a direct translation of "il faut".

I realise that the use of the subjunctive in the original French suggests some incertainty so, if this is the case, you could use "may":

"However, it must be accepted that the less important functions may be interrupted."

Alternatively, you could soften it a bit:

"However, it should be accepted that the less important functions may be interrupted."

< Previous | Next >