En ce moment-là, elle a su qu'elle était toute seule

aileen 27

english
En ce moment-la, elle a su qu'elle etait toute seule.
is that, at that moment, she knew she was alone?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • timpeac

English (England)
    En ce moment-la, elle a su qu'elle etait toute seule.
    is that, at that moment, she knew she was alone?
    I'd go for "at that moment she realised she was all alone". However, I find the "en ce moment-là" a bit odd. Wouldn't it be "à ce moment-là" ?

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    I'd go for "at that moment she realised she was all alone". However, I find the "en ce moment-là" a bit odd. Wouldn't it be "à ce moment-là" ?
    Apparently it's a fairly commonplace phrase of dubious grammatical merit, according to this thread.

Still, I would say à too.

Punky Zoé

Pau
    France - français
    Hi

En ce moment-là is probably a quebecism, you may not hear it in France, but à ce moment-là.

We do say en ce moment (right now, this time, at this moment) or à ce moment-là (at that moment).

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    Hi

En ce moment-là is probably a quebecism, :cross:you may not hear it in France, but à ce moment-là.
    This answer is coming late, but I'm happy to say that... no Punly, it isn't. ;) Some persons may say it when they should say « à ce moment là » but it definitely isn't a generalized - or even common -quebecism, that I know of. The person who said it in the other thread is not a Quebecer. At least I don't think he/she is.

You may hear « en ce moment là » to mean something like « dans ce temps là / à cette époque là », when refering to a past event. As in this sentence :
    C’est un événement dont M. Bâ se rappelle comme si c’était hier parce qu’en ce moment-là, il était le secrétaire général du ministère du Commerce.
    But this one, and other examples found in this research were not all written by Quebecers. :p

The quebecism is to say à ce moment-ci, when you should normally say « en ce moment ».

[...]
    Moderator note: New thread opened in the Grammar forum, discussing the French sentence grammatical points to avoid all confusions.

< Previous | Next >