En el bar empieza a escucharse música

Nubera

Español
Hola, me gustaría saber cómo traducir de un modo más correcto esta oración tan sencilla, pero tan usada en literatura. Creo que un simple "music starts to be heard in the bar" le pierde todo el romanticismo, no?
Muchas gracias.

• gengo

American English
    Hola, me gustaría saber cómo traducir de un modo más correcto esta oración tan sencilla, pero tan usada en literatura. Creo que un simple "music starts to be heard in the bar" le pierde todo el romanticismo, no?

If you want a romantic/poetic turn of phrase, you could say "[The sound of] music began wafting through the bar."

Chasint

English - England
    If you want a romantic/poetic turn of phrase, you could say "[The sound of] music began wafting through the bar."
    I'm not sure that music can waft. It's not like a scent. I speak as someone who in my youth played music in a bar for a while. Poetry is very subjective.

Chasint

English - England
    I, on the other hand, am sure.

Dictionary:
    1. to carry lightly and smoothly through the air or over water: A breeze wafted the music across the lake.

It is also used intransitively in this sense.
    Let us agree to differ.

A gentle breeze carries a scent at about 10mph. Music travels (naturally enough) at the speed of sound - roughly 760 miles per hour.

The appreciation of poetry is informed by knowledge. For me, the knowledge overrules the poetry in this case. It jars my sensibilities to think otherwise. As a musician, I saw people tapping their feet in time with my playing at the far end of the restaurant. There was no discernible delay over such a short distance.

As I said, poetry is subjective.

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    A gentle breeze carries a scent at about 10mph. Music travels (naturally enough) at the speed of sound - roughly 760 miles per hour.

The appreciation of poetry is informed by knowledge. For me, the knowledge overrules the poetry in this case. It jars my sensibilities to think otherwise. As a musician, I saw people tapping their feet in time with my playing at the far end of the restaurant. There was no discernible delay over such a short distance.

You are being WAY too literal here. It is quite common to say that music wafts through the air. A simple Google search will show that.

Chasint

English - England
    You are being WAY too literal ...
    I try to avoid being personal on these forums.

I'll just say that no music I ever play will be allowed to waft. It has licence to leave my instrument and travel to the ears of listeners. If I ever catch it trying to waft or misbehave in any other way, there will be big trouble! ;)

Last edited: