EN: generally - adverb placement

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by ___, Aug 1, 2010.

1. ___ New Member

french
    Hello

Which more appropriated position does an adverb belongs to, in a sentence ?

I've generally learned by myself
    Generally, I learned by myslef
    I learned by myself generally

All is right, but in general cases, could it mean different things ? Is there a standard position depleted of writting style ? Are other ways for the style ? To Emphasise ?

Thank you.

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Generally, the position of the adverb is fine in all three sentences. The default one, i.e. neutral, is #1. #2&3 are differ in information stress.

Welcome to the forums.

3. EnFrDe

EnFrDe Member

UK
    English (UK)
    #1 is more neutral, #2 puts emphasis on "generally" and would normally be followed by a "but...". I would never use #3 nor have I ever heard anyone else use it.

4. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Strange as it seems, the position #3 of the adverb is not out of the question, you can certainly come across it. Here's an example form a book:
    I am not certain that they all did that duty in every ship in the Mediterranean, but certainly they did it generally.
    http://www.google.pl/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Apl%3Aofficial&tbs=bks%3A1&q=%22+did+it+generally%22+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    Besides, one can also say:
    I learned by myself [a short pause for some deliberation after which the speaker adds] generally

[...]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010