en gustos se rompen géneros

yirgster

USA, English
I was told that--I hope I wrote it down correctly:

is an idiom for "to each their own". But, I didn't see it in any of the threads on "to each their own". Is this another idiom for that?

• catrina

Spanish, Mexico
    I was told that--I hope I wrote it down correctly:

is an idiom for "to each their own". But, I didn't see it in any of the threads on "to each their own". Is this another idiom for that?
    Hola,
    no conozco el idiom to each their own
    ¿qué significa?

en gustos se rompen géneros se usa para decir que no a todo mundo le gusta lo mismo

yirgster

USA, English
    The phrase means that everyone has their own likes/dislikes, ways of doing things, and so on and that one shouldn't project theirs onto someone else, or judge someone else based on their own.

It usually occurs in contexts where someone has expressed surprise, disbelief, etc., about what someone else likes or how they do things.

Here's a real life example from a travel forum (from memory):

A: I didn't find Morelia particularly interesting
    Me: I loved Morelia. [I go on to gush about it in a way implying what's the matter with A. Although expressed mildly it was, let us say, in poor taste. Nothing like some ego.]
    B: I love Morelia too, but remember, to each their own.

You can also use 'his' or 'her' instead of 'their'.

Hola,
    no conozco el idiom to each their own
    ¿qué significa?

en gustos se rompen géneros se usa para decir que no a todo mundo le gusta lo mismo

catrina

Spanish, Mexico
    The phrase means that everyone has their own likes/dislikes, ways of doing things, and so on and that one shouldn't project theirs onto someone else, or judge someone else based on their own.

It usually occurs in contexts where someone has expressed surprise, disbelief, etc., about what someone else likes or how they do things.

Here's a real life example from a travel forum (from memory):

A: I didn't find Morelia particularly interesting
    Me: I loved Morelia. [I go on to gush about it in a way implying what's the matter with A. Although expressed mildly it was, let us say, in poor taste. Nothing like some ego.]
    B: I love Morelia too, but remember, to each their own.

You can also use 'his' or 'her' instead of 'their'.
    Gracias mil yirster! especialmente por el ejemplo :) Recibe saludos,

Forero

"To each his own": Creo que la frase original es "to each his own poison" en que "poison" es una referencia a Scotch, brandy, vodka, etc. Figurativamente, la frase quiere decir que cada quien tiene su propio gusto, no importa ni que a otros no les gusten las mismas cosas ni que le pueda dañar su "gusto".

"To each his own" dice que cada quien tiene/tenga su propia manera de gastar la vida, que no debemos tratar de cambiar su mente, pues porque así es.

Creo que la frase "en gustos se rompen géneros" sólo dice que los gustos no pueden generalizarse, no tanto que no se pueden/deben cambiar. ¿Verdad?

catrina

Spanish, Mexico
    "To each his own": Creo que la frase original es "to each his own poison" en que "poison" es una referencia a Scotch, brandy, vodka, etc. Figurativamente, la frase quiere decir que cada quien tiene su propio gusto, no importa ni que a otros no les gusten las mismas cosas ni que le pueda dañar su "gusto".

"To each his own" dice que cada quien tiene/tenga su propia manera de gastar la vida, que no debemos tratar de cambiar su mente, pues porque así es.

Creo que la frase "en gustos se rompen géneros" sólo dice que los gustos no pueden generalizarse, no tanto que no se pueden/deben cambiar. ¿Verdad?
    Exacto! es una manera educada de decir que no compartes el gusto del otro pero que cada quien su gusto :)

< Previous | Next >