EN: I (have) worked there for a year

Humboldt

French
Hello everyone,

I am writing a cover letter and want to mention my experience.

I have worked in a school with children aged 5 for a year. = dans ce cas, FOR veut dire depuis, donc ça dure, c'est toujours le cas?

I worked in a school with children aged 5 for a year. = ça veut dire que c'est terminé, que j'ai fait ça pendant un an?

It's difficult to know when to use the present perfect and when to use the preterit. I'm a bit confused.

Thanks

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Vous avez raison : I have worked there for a year = j’y travaille depuis un an
    I worked there for a year = j’y ai travaillé pendant un an.

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    I worked there for a year ..... i.e. 2009 to 2010.

I have worked here for a year = up to now, from 2021 - 2022 ( and I am still here ____ not there).

present perfect is difficult for French speakers !!!!!

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    As far as I know, I've worked in that school for a year just means that you've worked there until now. It doesn't imply that you are still working there, does it? You may also have just left the school or be about to do so.

I have worked here for a year
    Well, there is certainly appropriate if you mean in that school

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    As far as I know, I've worked in that school for a year just means that you've worked there until now

Yes, possibly, but it seems to me that in that context we more likely would say
    I've been working in that school for a year... or
    So far, I've worked in that school for a year...

...and I've decided to stay there for another year.
    ...and I've decided I'm not staying on there.

are both possible situations in that case.

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    "I've worked in this school for a year"(now) ... I worked in that school for a year (1999) - (finished action).

The present perfect means "up to now" with NO suggestion as to how long you are going to stay.

If it's a really long time, the continuous of the tense is used "I've been working at this school for as long as I can remember."