EN: Il a été manipulé depuis son enfance

Kevlancelot

French
Hello everyone,

This is my first thread. I've decided to cross the line and to subscribe in order to ask a few questions for the English native on this forum about the present perfect and other tenses usage.

[…]

Second I'm writing a resume about the movie the Trueman Show. And I want to say that "He has been manipulated since his early childhood". That's how I would put it without having a second thought.
However, if I remember my English Class correctly I'm using "SINCE" meaning It is in the past, so using "He was manipulated" would be more appropriate but still, I prefer using the present perfect because we are talking about experience, meaning he has been manipulated in the past but he is still manipulated.

What would you suggest to me? Is my thinking adequate?

Cheers to all the repliers of this thread.

• moustic

British English
    Hello and welcome to the forum Kevlancelot.

As you say: He has been manipulated since his early childhood means that the action started in the past and it is still continuing. The present perfect forms a link between past and present.
    He was manipulated situates the action completely in the past.

Kevlancelot

French
    Thank you for your answer and your time kind sir.

Let say I use a precise period of time like "Since 1992" can I also say "he has been manipulated since 1992". I'm asking this because there is a precise period in the past in this case 1992.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Bonjour et bienvenue sur les forums ! :)

Comme l'a expliqué moustic, en anglais on utilise le present perfect si cela continue. Mais dans ce cas, en français on emploirait le présent au lieu du passé composé. Cela reste vrai que le complément de temps introduit par since soit présent ou non et, s'il est présent, quel qu'il soit.

He has been manipulated (since 1992 / since his early childhood) = On le manipule (depuis 1992 / depuis sa tendre enfance).
    He was manipulated (since 1992 / since his early childhood) = On le manipulait/l'a manipulé (depuis 1992 / depuis sa tendre enfance).
    He had been manipulated (since 1992 / since his early childhood) = On l'avait manipulé (depuis 1992 / depuis sa tendre enfance).

< Previous | Next >