EN: J'avais été au chômage pendant 6 mois avant de trouver un emploi

JE21

French-France
Bonjour tout le monde,

J'aurais aimé avoir votre aide concernant la phrase suivante qui me pose problème "j'avais été au chômage 6 mois avant de trouver un emploi".

L'emploi du plus-que-parfait et de "pendant" dans la même phrase m'embête. Je ne suis pas sûr qu'il soit possible d'utiliser "I had been unemployed" et "for" pour traduire le plus-que-parfait et "pendant" puisque que past perfect+"for" en anglais = imparfait + "depuis" en français.

I had been unemployed for 6 months when I finally found a job

Pourriez-vous me dire si cette solution est correcte et s'il y a d'autres façons de traduire cette phrase?

Merci par avance.

• JE21

French-France
    Thanks for your replies! Out of curiosity, how would you translate "j'ai été au chômage pendant 6 mois avant de trouver un travail"? In that case, you've just found the job (today basically) and you were unemployed for 6 months before that. Even though the tense is different in French, I think that it would probably be the same one in English. Is that right?

Oddmania

French
    Thanks for your replies! Out of curiosity, how would you translate "j'ai été au chômage pendant 6 mois avant de trouver un travail"? In that case, you've just found the job (today basically) and you were unemployed for 6 months before that. Even though the tense is different in French, I think that it would probably be the same one in English. Is that right?
    Ici, je dirais I was unemployed for 6 months until I finally found a job.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I see no reason why we couldn't say in the context of your #4, "I had been out of work for six months before I finally found a job today." (After a preposition ('before') we always have the choice of putting the verb in the nomial form (gerund), too: "...before finally finding...") Also possible: the past perfect continuous with a different verb: "I had been looking for work for six months before I finally found a job today."

< Previous | Next >