EN: look very much like - adverb placement

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by PatBParis, Nov 16, 2007.

1. PatBParis Senior Member

paris sacré coeur
    FRANCE FRENCH
    It seems that the adverb must be placed between look and like but often people say it at the end of it.

For example :

You look very much like your brother !

or

You look like your brother very much !

Which one is correct ?

Thanks in advance

Patricia

2. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    Je préfère ça mais les deux me semblent tout à fait correctes. (You look a lot like your brother marche très bien aussi, et « a lot » sonnerait un peu mieux à mon avis au lieu de « very much » à la fin de la phrase dans le deuxième exemple).

P.S. Pour des réponses plus détaillées, il y a toujours les forums grammaire et anglais seulement. :)

3. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    I would probably say "You look very much like your brother." But I might say "You look like your brother very much" if I wanted to emphasize very much.

4. PatBParis Senior Member

paris sacré coeur
    FRANCE FRENCH
    Thanks cropjet for advising "a lot" and bloomiegirl to have shown how to emphasize "very much".

5. Mme Machin Senior Member

Midwest USA
    USA English
    I like "you look very much like your brother" better than "you look like your brother very much."

You could also say, "You really look like your brother!"

6. ewanog Member

UK, english and portuguese
    "you look like your brother very much." sounds pretty poor me.

If you wanted to put 'very much' at the end of the sentence, you can do it with certain situations. For example, "I like that desk very much" or "Did it rain very much?". (I'm afraid I don't know the rule off the top of my head sorry!)

But for "you look like your brother very much", the best way to write that in my mind is "you look a lot like your brother"

7. Franglais1969

Franglais1969 Senior Member

Angleterre.
    English English, français rouillé
    I concur. :thumbsup:

8. PatBParis Senior Member

paris sacré coeur
    FRANCE FRENCH
    Thanks all of you for your answers

as the text was with look like and very much !!!!

I'll remember the right place
    and
    The better way is to use "a lot"

Bye for now