En même temps que

amely

England
En même temps que le gonflement de la dette, la crise du système éducatif est sans aucun doute la question majeure qui hypothèque l’avenir de notre pays et exige qu’on mette fin à cet immense gâchis.

Can "En même temps que" here be translated as "Together with"?

How is this for a translation?
Together with the increase in debt, the education system's crisis is without a doubt the main question that mortgages the future of France [...]

Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one

Last edited by a moderator:
France, French
Hey !!!

I need help !
Is that correct : "I developed my sales skills in a call centre during 8 months along to my studies". (en même temps que mes études)

Il s'agissait d'un job le soir après les cours. (pas d'alternance)

Thanks for your help,

frank

Last edited by a moderator:
English, UK
Hi :)
I would usually write 'alongside' or 'along with', but the 'during' sounds a little awkward. Perhaps a better way of putting it would be

'I developed my sales skills working in a call centre for 8 months alongside continuing my studies'

I hope that helps

Belgium, Dutch
I don't think :along to" exists. It should be "along with my studies". But that doesn't sound right so I suggest to put it another way:

During my studies, I developed my sales skills working in a call centre for 8 months.

You may want to have this checked by a native speaker though...

I don't think :along to" exists. It should be "along with my studies". But that doesn't sound right so I suggest to put it another way:

During my studies, I developed my sales skills working in a call centre for 8 months.

You may want to have this checked by a native speaker though...
This is grammatically perfect. I would use this.

xianon

English (American)
Hi! I was reading an article Le Monde diplomatique earlier today when I came across a sentence that I'm not quite sure I understand, and I would love it if someone could help me out. It comes from an article discussing an income cap.

En même temps qu'une idée née aux Etats-Unis il y a plus d'un siècle : limiter les revenue des plus riches.

It's the "en même temps que" part of the sentence that is giving me trouble. The rest, if I'm not mistaken, would be "...an idea born in the US over a century ago: limiting the incomes of those who are wealthiest." So then... what am I missing?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
Well, obviously you're missing the previous sentence, which would probably contain the thing to which this idea is being "simultaneously" or doing something "contemporaneously":
Mais, avec la tempête financière, le lien entre l’une et l’autre refait surface. En même temps qu’une idée née aux Etats-Unis il y a plus d’un siècle : limiter les revenus des plus riches.
So "But, with the financial crisis, the link between the two is resurfacing - along with an idea..."

Basically, this "idea" is "resurfacing" "en même temps que" the "lien." The sentence fragment is being used for dramatic effect.

Hey, by the way!

xianon

English (American)
Hm, I guess I'd just never seen a fragment like that set apart for emphasis before.

Thanks! Much appreciated.