EN: make sure / ensure + tense

• Micia93

France French
    Hello Micia,
    What is the original sentence in French ?
    ho, thanks Boterham ! :)
    in fact, this was an example of a translation ! here, this is imperative form,
    "assure-toi qu'il va le faire" => "make sure he does it" (I wouldn't put neither will nor shall here)
    in my translation, it is not, which confuses me :
    "we have taken all the necessary measures to ensure that our suppliers pre-register the preparations we are using"
    I feel something is missing before pre-register

many thanks !

Dzienne

English - United States (midatlantic)
    "We have taken all of the necessary measures to ensure that our suppliers pre-register the preparations we are using.":tick:

You could substitute "make sure" for "ensure" but you do not need both. It would read better to say: "We have taken all of the necessary measures to ensure that our suppliers have registered the preparations we are using in advance."

Micia93

France French
    "We have taken all of the necessary measures to ensure that our suppliers pre-register the preparations we are using.":tick:

You could substitute "make sure" for "ensure" but you do not need both. It would read better to say: "We have taken all of the necessary measures to ensure that our suppliers have registered the preparations we are using in advance."
    thanks Dzienne :)
    in fact, I'm not sure "have registered" would fit, since they will have to register it once they will have received the reports on the preparations we are using

Dzienne

English - United States (midatlantic)
    thanks Dzienne :)
    in fact, I'm not sure "have registered" would fit, since they will have to register it once they will have received the reports on the preparations we are using
    Hmm. Okay, how about: "We have taken all of the necessary measures to ensure that our suppliers will register the preparations we are using in advance."

Does that help? :) "The preparations we are using", I thought about this one too. Is it something you are doing right now? Is it a temporary or current condition, like you would use different preparations in the past or future? Variations could include "our preparations" or "the preparations we use" if not. Just something to think about.

bieting2005

Chinese - Mandarin / chinois - mandarin
    You can also use "guarantee". And "ensure" could be followed by a noun, as an example from dictionary, "To ensure the child's quick recovery,the doctor gave him an antibiotic."

So here, to save all the trouble, we can translate it as: "we have taken all the necessary measures to ensure our suppliers' pre-registration of the preparations we are using." :)

Last edited:

Micia93

France French
    Hmm. Okay, how about: "We have taken all of the necessary measures to ensure that our suppliers will register the preparations we are using in advance."

Does that help? :) "The preparations we are using", I thought about this one too. Is it something you are doing right now? Is it a temporary or current condition, like you would use different preparations in the past or future? Variations could include "our preparations" or "the preparations we use" if not. Just something to think about.
    many thanks to both of you ! it helps a lot ! :)
    Dzienne, to answer your question, we always use preparations to produce articles, so it isn't temporary
    so maybe, "preparations we use" may better fit!

< Previous | Next >