En matiére de bruit

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by DL9, Oct 7, 2009.

1. DL9

DL9 Senior Member

Taipei, Taiwan
    Mandarin Chinese
    En matiére de bruit, les avions développés dans les années 60 dont beaucoup volent encore aujourd'hui réveillaient en moyenne 400 personnes à l'atterrissage; les avions actuels en réveillent 200 de moins. Ceux du futur causeront aux riverains des aéroports moins de géne qu'une mobylette.

Can you please help me understand this above paragraph, I thought it was talking about the aircraft noise level at the beginning ?? but I think I got lost later on. Many thanks for your help.

2. quinoa Senior Member

french
    Yes, it's about progress in the noise level of planes as years go by.
    In the 1960s, they disturbed about 400 residents when landing, nowadays 200 less, and in the future they are supposed to be as noisy as a moped.

3. WordRef1 Senior Member

California, USA
    English - America
    It says that airplanes from the 60s woke an average of 400 on landing - people living in the area. Current planes 200 less. And, in the future they will cause less disturbance to the inhabitants near the airport than a moped. So, yes, it is talking about noise.
    You can use translate.google.com for a quick rough translation.

4. DL9

DL9 Senior Member

Taipei, Taiwan
    Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks a lot for your explanations, that is really a vivid way of measuring the noise level, isn't it ?