EN: more - adverb placement

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by mari06, Mar 28, 2012.

1. mari06 Senior Member

FRENCH
    Bonjour,
    doit-on dire "You should talk MORE with your parents" ou "You should talk with your parents MORE"?
    Ya-t-il une différence quand on utilise un pronom? "You should talk MORE with them" ou bien "You should talk with them MORE?"
    Merci de votre aide précieuse !

2. ride7359 Senior Member

À mes oreilles il est plus naturelle de dire "You should talk with your parents MORE" mes les deux se disent.

3. Istaarya

Istaarya Member

English
    To me, il est plus naturelle de dire: "You should talk to your parents more often' , but it's ok to say "You should (really) talk with your parents more often" or "You really need to talk to/with your parents more (often)"
    If you don't use the word 'often' at the end here, the sentence doesn't feel as complete to me, but is also correct.

"More" est d'habitude à la fin (in this type of context): 'We really need to visit them more (often)"; "Would you like some more?"

It makes sense to use "more" in the middle of the sentence when something has already happened, and doing/saying/eating etc any 'more' will add to what has already been done (think of actions that have already been done). Examples:

-How much more can you eat?
    -Can you make life any more difficult?
    -Do you have anything more to say for yourself?
    -I have nothing more to say

Imagine the above sentences without the word 'more'. They are still complete without the word more, but the meaning has completely changed as if it is the first time, and has not happened in the past.
    -How much can you eat?
    -Can you make life any difficult?
    -Do you have anything to say for yourself?
    -I have nothing to say

I hope this helps!