EN: Plus vite ils travailleront, plus tôt ils rentreront chez eux

Ethellyy

French - North East of France
Hello!

I'm in doubt regarding the translation of the following: "Plus vite ils travailleront, plus tôt ils rentreront chez eux".

My proposition is:
1. The faster they will work, the sooner they will go home.

But now I'm not sure whether I can keep "will". It reminds me of sentences and contexts when you actually cannot use "will" or "would", such as:"When he resigns from this company, he will realise his mistake"

Should I then say:
2.The faster they work, the sooner they will go home.
3. The faster they work, the sooner they go home.

Are all three sentences correct? Do they mean exactly the same?

I could really use the opinion of an English native speaker here :)

• Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Pourriez-vous s'il vous plaît nous donner un peu de contexte ? En particulier, ces personnes sont-elles déjà en train de travailler ou pas encore ?

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Dans ce cas, tout ce que je peux vous dire est que votre deuxième phrase est celle que je dirais spontanément, avec d'abord un présent puis un futur :

The faster they work, the sooner they will go home.

P.S.: Après mûre réflexion, je pense que l'on se trouve bien dans le même genre de cas que les propositions circonstancielles de temps :
    EN: when + tense (present / future)
    EN: as soon as + tense

Shadiac

Russian - Moscow
    It's tense relative, and language plays no role here. "The faster they will work" means that the subjects have not yet started working. "The faster they work" implies that they have. "the sooner they will go home" and "the sooner they go home" are synonymous in English, as both can be used.

However (!) French language is usually more formal than English, therefore saying "Plus vite ils travaillent, plus vite ils rentrent chez eux" is acceptable at some levels of colloquial speech (in Quebec, for example, we tend to use less future tense as we speak), but unacceptable in a formal essay or journal article.

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    Here's yet another vote for the "Maître Capello is Right" ballot box.

The correct form is The faster they work, the sooner they will go home.

'The faster they will work,..' is incorrect, and the question of whether or not they have started working is irrelevant.

Ethellyy

French - North East of France
    Hi everyone I just saw your answers! Thank you so much.
    It seems a tricky question after all.

This forum is great. I am often stuck with some questions I have and there is no such answers in books.

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    It isn't tricky at all. You were given the correct answer by MC in post 4, and Keith and I both confirmed that this was right. Of the three options you suggested, #2 is correct. No question about it.

But you're right about one thing - this forum is great. :)

Last edited: