EN: Que feras-tu pour Halloween ?

Oddmania

French
Bonjour,

I'm trying to figure out what the differences between the Simple Future and the Futur Continous are. Here is what I've found so far:

• The Futur Continous Tense is used to talk about events that will be happening from a precise moment to another moment (this point is okay for me) : He will be doing this from 9 o' clock to 11 o' clock.

• It's also used to talk about a regular, usual event (I'll have to remember this, as it doesn't seem logical at all as the Simple Present and the Simple Preterit are used to talk about usual events in the present or in the past) : This year we'll be going to Italy as usual.

• To talk about any events that will be happening at a precise moment in the future.
However, I often see people use this tense to talk about things that seem to have nothing to do with these points. I once read that, with the Simple Future tense, you sometimes feel like the event happens in the future and then stops. Whereas, with the Future Continous tense, you feel like the event happens in the future, goes on and takes some time before it stops. So, does this mean you also use it for long events that will happen in the future?

Also, for instance, which tense would you use to ask Que feras-tu pour Halloween ? I guess it's a precise moment in the future, so What will you be doing for Halloween? seems to sound better.

Thanks a bunch, I know it may not be that easy to explain such things! :)

• keith_talent

English
    Oddmania, je pense qu'on utilise le "future continuous" souvent pour exprimer une espérance ou intention. (Comme tu dis, cette forme peut aussi être utilisée parce que l'action qu'on décrit est continue ou répétée.) Donc, on peut dire:

- What will you be doing for Halloween?

Mais imagine que tu parles à un ami qui vient d'apprendre que ses plans ont été annulés. Alors, tu n'utilserais pas le "future continuous," mais plutôt:

- What will you do (now) for Halloween?

Et il pourrait répondre:

- Maybe I'll go to Bob's party.

Mais pas:

- Maybe I'll be going to Bob's party. (Parce que "maybe" veut dire qu'il n'a pas encore un plan, et c'est le plan qui justifie le "future continuous.")

Last edited:

econo

English-USA
    Au risque de rendre les chose meme plus confuses...:<) En anglais on dit souvent "What are you doing for Holloween?" au lieu de "What will you be doing for Holloween?" meme si Holloween n'aura pas lieu pour quelque temps.

Regards

econo

Oddmania

French
    Au risque de rendre les chose meme plus confuses...:<) En anglais on dit souvent "What are you doing for Holloween?" au lieu de "What will you be doing for Holloween?" meme si Holloween n'aura pas lieu pour quelque temps.

Regards

econo
    Oui, c'est vrai, de même qu'en français on dit souvent " Qu'est-ce que tu fais pour Halloween ? " :)

< Previous | Next >