EN: type(s) / kind(s) of + singular / plural

• beri

France
    that's what I thought, but could you track up where I heard sth about plural with this kind of... oh here it is! this kind of sentences
    hum :confused:

Benjy

English - English
    oh yeah.
    oops :eek:

although for some reason these type of problems seems fine to me. but it must be wrong :s

Last edited by a moderator:

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    From the BBC World Service 'Learning English' pages :

Sort of / kind of / type of are usually followed by an uncountable noun or a singular countable noun with no article, but a / an is sometimes retained in an informal style:

What sort of (a) / kind of (a) / type of (a) dance is that?

Well, it’s a sort of jig or reel, danced to very fast time. I don’t know exactly what it is because there are several types of jigs – single jigs, double jigs, slip jigs and hop jigs.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    Sort of / kind of / type of are usually followed by an uncountable noun or a singular countable noun with no article, but a / an is sometimes retained in an informal style:
    The word "usually" makes the whole explanation unclear. :(
    It suggests there are times when "this type of" can be followed by a plural word. :(

Pierre Simon

English
    It suggests there are times when "this type of" can be followed by a plural word.
    It does nothing of the kind. If you read it carefully, it says that these expressions are usually followed by no article, but that the indefinite article is sometimes used in an informal context.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    So based on the discussion here and the BBC link,

1. "I don't like this kind of naughty student." (correct)
    2. "I don't like this kind of naughty students." (wrong)
    3. "I don't like these kinds of naughty students." (correct)

1 and 3 are correct, but 1 refers to one kind, while 3 refers to multiple kinds.

Am I right?

corner1912

Chinese
    but in my understanding the noun following "these kinds of" is a conception rather than an instance, why we still need to use plural?

< Previous | Next >