Ena žlahtna štorija (Slovenščina)

pastet89

bulgarian
Zdravo,

že nekaj mescev spremljam tole nanizanko in zdaj prvič sem se vprašal, kako bi natančno prevedel naslov.
Ker vem, da "žlahta" pomeni narečno "rod", oz. biti v žlahti s nekom pomeni da sta v rodu, oz. da sta bodisi brat in sestra, bodisi sestrična pa bratranec itd... Ker to besedo dobro poznam, doslej nisem niti pogledal v slovarju kaj pomeni.

In sem pač razmišljal, če bi prevedel v svoj jezik to kot "družinsko" ali pa "rodovsko" štorijo oz. zgodbo. In ko sem pogledal v fran.si "žlahten" sem bil šokiran, ker sem prebral, da pomeni plemenit, oz. nekaj, kar se nanaša na aristokracijo.

Kako je to možno, sploh mi ne paše ta pomen... Kako bi vi prevedli po angleško dobesdno tole naslov:

One family story/One aristocratic story, ali pa nekaj drugega?

Hvala pa LP

• eeladvised

Slovene - Slovenia
    (Disclaimer: I don't really know anything much about this TV series and have never watched it. Hopefully we'll eventually get a reply from someone who knows it better.)

I certainly wouldn't translate "žlahten" as "aristocratic" in a context like this (in fact the SSKJ marks this sense of "žlahten" as old-fashioned). IMO a closer English equivalent would be "noble", which just like Slovenian "žlahten" can also be used in situations that don't imply any literal connection with the aristocracy, e.g. you can talk about a noble sentiment or character or something of that sort. "Žlahten" is also used sometimes in descriptions of wine, chocolate etc. in ways that correspond to English "fine" (I've seen Gorenjka use the "žlahten" = "fine" translation on some of their chocolate packaging). Cf. also how "gentle" in English has gone from "well-born" to "tender", though IMO "žlahten" hasn't gone quite that far and so perhaps "gentle" would not be the best translation of it.

One thought that comes to mind, though without knowing the series in question I'm not sure whether it's relevant: there is also an informal, non-standard but very widely known word "žlahta" = sorodstvo, relatives. The meaning of the adjective "žlahten" isn't really related to the meaning of the noun "žlahta", but perhaps the authors of the series hoped to suggest an association with it anyway, as a form of word-play. If that is the case, I have no ideas how to include the same association in an English translation of the title. Calling it a "family story" would be going too far from the usual sense of "žlahten", in my opinion.

Lastly, I suspect that "ena" here is used not so much as a numeral "one" but more as a sort of indefinite article. Now, of course standard Slovenian doesn't have articles, but suspiciously article-like things do crop up here and there in dialects (e.g. the use of "ta" = "this", in an indeclinable fashion, as a sort of impromptu definite article).

So I would suggest something like "a fine/noble/gentle story", though I'm not 100% happy with any of these adjectives, as each of them will be somewhat misleading by having some connotations that "žlahten" doesn't.

Panceltic

Slovenščina
    I think the TV series is to do with wine, right? ‘Žlahten’ is used for wine, as eeladvised mentioned, and can also be used for all sorts of other ‘noble’ things. For example žlahtni plini (noble gases in chemistry).

Another word with the same meaning is ‘plemenit’, e.g. plemenite kovine (noble metals).

You can see that, in the same way that plemenit is derived form pleme, žlahten is derived from žlahta (a German loanword). For comparison, the Polish nobility were known as szlachta (šlahta), the same origin.

eeladvised

Slovene - Slovenia
    A couple more suggestions after a session with thesaurus.com: "genteel" strikes me as a possibly useful way of avoiding some of the wrong connotations of "gentle" and "noble". Another thing that comes to mind is "classy", though this strikes me as too informal compared to "žlahten".