enable use of

English - Canadian
Salut à tous,

J'essaie de traduire un document qui s'agit des têtes de lecture GMR, la magnétorésistance géante, des disques durs. Cependant, je me trompe avec la traduction de la phrase ci-dessous, spécifiquement les mots qui sont soulignés et en caractères gras. Voici mes tentatives et le texte original:

ANG: Soon, researchers and engineers began work to enable use of the effect GMR in read-out heads.

FRAN: Les chercheurs et les ingénieurs ont commencé vite les travaux afin de permettre l'utilisation de l'effet GMR dans les têtes de lecture.

"..." afin d'activer l'utilisation...

Last edited:
  • English
    'afin de permettre l'utilisation de' is a good translation of 'to enable use of'. From the context 'enable' would seem to be in the sense of 'allow' rather than the actual physical sense of starting the process.

English - Canadian
    'afin de permettre l'utilisation de' is a good translation of 'to enable use of'. From the context 'enable' would seem to be in the sense of 'allow' rather than the actual physical sense of starting the process.
    Welcome to the forum! What do you think of archijaq's suggestion with "exploiter?" I have a feeling that this verb can also be interpreted in the sentence.

English
    Welcome to the forum! What do you think of archijaq's suggestion with "exploiter?" I have a feeling that this verb can also be interpreted in the sentence.
    Thanks, although I'm a bit of a false new member as I have been using the forum in a voyeuristic fashion for several years. Now I finally have time to give something back.

Exploiter - I'm not certain. For me it has more of the meaning of take advantage of / make use of than allow, but maybe it's just a use of exploiter that I haven't come across before?

English - Canadian
    Thanks, although I'm a bit of a false new member as I have been using the forum in a voyeuristic fashion for several years. Now I finally have time to give something back.

Exploiter - I'm not certain. For me it has more of the meaning of take advantage of / make use of than allow, but maybe it's just a use of exploiter that I haven't come across before?
    I completely agree on your interpretation. Heck, this use of "exploiter" is even new to me! I was rummaging through my Robert and Collins, and found that it is equivalent to "make use of." When archijacq suggested it, the first thing that came to mind that it was possibly a false friend. You gotta love different interpretations!