Enabled with or enabled by

Black Lunulas

Greek
Hello all,

I have this phrase:

"The environmental performance of products enabled with printed electronics"

I just want to refer to products that have a electronic circuit printed on them. If I write

"the environmental performance of products enabled by printed electronics"

it sounds to me like I'm taking about products that would not be possible without printed electronics.

Which one sounds better?

Thank you very much

• jmichaelm

English - US
    Copyright's suggestion is very good.

You could emphasize that these are included as a part of the product: "...products containing printed circuits..."

Shiggles McWhigley

English - US
    I think Copyright was just suggesting the removal of the word "enabled" regardless of what follows it. I suppose it's all relative to context, so I'd have to read the stuff around it to say for sure. For instance, is there a specific function (etc.) that's enabled by the printed electronics, or are you speaking generally?

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Can I say products "with printed electronics circuits"? Printed circuit board is a different thing.
    Yes, whatever is appropriate. As jmichaelm was suggesting, I was just avoiding the "enabling" entirely.

"The environmental performance of products with printed electronic circuits ...." (I would use the singular "electronic" here myself.)

Black Lunulas

Greek
    This is the whole phrase.

The function is given by the printed electronics circuit which is literally printed on the envelope

However, as the use of printed electronics is expected to increase over the next years, concerns have been raised regarding the environmental performance of products enabled by printed electronics.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    I might consider "...concerns have been raised regarding the environmental performance of products that use printed electronics."

jmichaelm

English - US
    To me it seems you are making it clear from the start you are talking about printed electronics, so I don't see the need to repeat the term.
    "However, as the use of printed electronics is expected to increase over the next years, concerns have been raised regarding their environmental performance."

Black Lunulas

Greek
    Its the environmental performance of the products that use printed electronics, not the environmental performance of the printed electronics. Printed electronics is a technology, I mean is not an object. Thats the difference.

I think the best is "products with printed electronics circuits" isnt it?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    If you can think of another sort of printed circuit, use "printed electronics circuits." Otherwise, the word is redundant.

< Previous | Next >