enabling AMD to gain substantial market share

sisedesnonis

Italian-Venetian
I had to replace the underlined part of this sentence with one of the following options

AMD employees used their creativity, intellect, and ingenuity to develop faster processors than those offered by many competitors, to enable them to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel.

:tick:enabling AMD to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel
:cross:enabling AMD to gain substantial market share with rival firm Intel
:cross:enabling them to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel
:cross:to enable AMD to gain substantial market share with rival firm Intel
:cross:to enable them to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Those that have the word "with" are wrong - not grammatically, but contextually.

enabling AMD to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel
    enabling AMD to gain substantial market share with rival firm Intel
    enabling them to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel
    to enable AMD to gain substantial market share with rival firm Intel
    to enable them to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel

Those with "them" in them are wrong, as 'them' refers to "competitors"
    enabling AMD to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel
    enabling them to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel
    to enable them to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel

That leaves
    enabling AMD to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel.

Andygc

British English
    The comma is not removed as it is not part of the underlined text. "Them" in the original refers to the employees, not AMD. If the original is accepted as correct, then so is this:
    AMD employees used their creativity, intellect, and ingenuity to develop faster processors than those offered by many competitors, enabling them to gain substantial market share from rival firm Intel.

Andygc

British English
    The sentence as written has as its subject "AMD employees". Yes, I am sure. Why else would I have written this?
    If the original is accepted as correct
    If you think "AMD" = "them', try changing the sentence to "Old employees used ..." Do you think "old" = "them"?

Andygc

British English
    But the OP does not give the correct answer, since the original sentence says nothing about AMD gaining market share. It says that AMD employees ("them") gained market share. "AMD" is being used attributively and is, in this sentence, an adjective. It cannot be the "them" that gained market share. I know what the writer intended, but he didn't write what he intended. The correct conversion of the original defective sentence is the third choice.

Loob

English UK
    Google hits such as AMD Growth - GMAT Sentence Correction indicate that this is a sentence correction test: in other words, that the original sentence is defective by design and the student has to choose the option that remedies the defects.

It would be helpful to explain that next time, sisedesnonis:).

sisedesnonis

Italian-Venetian
    Google hits such as AMD Growth - GMAT Sentence Correction indicate that this is a sentence correction test: in other words, that the original sentence is defective by design and the student has to choose the option that remedies the defects.

It would be helpful to explain that next time, sisedesnonis:).
    Sorry, I didn't try to google it. Anyway, thank you all, I think I was right after all.

< Previous | Next >