enact a process on the material

LV4-26

Hello,

I need some help on the following quote, by a composer of contemporary music. True, the whole thing sounds fairly disjointed, due to the fact that it's a spoken conversation transcribed "as is". But never mind that, my specific problem is about the use of the verb to enact here.

I also, not so much now, but in a lot of earlier pieces (Nobody’s Jig for example). . it doesn’t really enact a process on the material. It’s an anthology of bits of materials and there is some correspondence within the parts; there is some overlap with what they’re drawing on. (emphasis added).

Here's what the dictionary says about enact :
1. To make into law: Congress enacted a tax reform bill.
2. To act (something) out, as on a stage: enacted the part of the parent.
Source

Obviously, enact is used here in a figurative sense, peculiar to the speaker. Neither meaning seems to fit the present context.
How do you understand it?

Any help appreciated
Jean-Michel

• MichaelW

English (British)
    Meaning 2 seems closest, once could enact a process as one enacts a character in a play, following a pre-set script.

But equally as in enacting a law one is saying "let this be the law", one might say "let this be the process".

Last edited:

LV4-26

Thanks, MichaelW.

I'll have to give some more thought to your explanation.

On the other hand, I see that the phrase enact a process is commonly used in computer network technology.
    Could there be a link with my text?

< Previous | Next >