enact

joh2001smile

Chinese
This is from a book about Toyota's lean production. Does the word enact mean describe, i.e. the tools currently described are important?
Context:
We tend to see the intricate set of tools as the system. But although they are important to the system as currently enacted, they are at the surface, not the heart.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Wow, Joh2001Smile. It sounds as though the the thing that is being "enacted" is the set of tools. That doesn't make any sense to me. Perhaps the writer meant something like "employed". You can certainly employ or use a set of tools. I don't think it's possible to "enact" one.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I believe that it is the system that is enacted. The system is the way in which Toyotas are manufactured. Although tools are an important part of this, and the part you see or notice (=the surface), they are not the central thing (=the heart).

owlman5

English-US
    I believe that it is the system that is enacted. The system is the way in which Toyotas are manufactured. Although tools are an important part of this, and the part you see or notice (=the surface), they are not the central thing (=the heart).
    Oh, I get it. Thanks, Cagey!

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    When the system put into action, the system is enacted.

(This would be the first definition of enact offered by the WR dictionary, not the second.)

< Previous | Next >