encargado de la acogida turística

maryam87

Italiano
Hi! How can I say "Encargado de la acogida turística" in English? Es decir la persona que da la bienvenida a los turistas, puede ser en una oficina de turismo, en un hotel, en un aeropuerto, en un restaurante y otros lugares turísticos así ... Muchas gracias. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • wordcrafter82

British English
    It depends on the place really, but maybe,

Representative in charge of tourist/visitor reception

or

Assistant in charge of tourist/visitor welcome.

maryam87

Italiano
    Uhm, it seems hard... I don't know, maybe there is not a general English term... Would "Tourist Reception Operator" be suitable? I'm trying to give an English translation to this professional figure object of a course in tourism i'm attending. I need a general job title for a person who welcomes and deals with tourists in locations like a hotel reception, a tourist info-point, an airport customer care, a restaurant... a person who welcomes and helps tourists when they get in one of these places... something general which can suit with all of these. I've also thought to "Tourist Hospitality Operator" but maybe it has more to do with hotels? Or also "Welcoming Tourist Hostess". Does it make any sense in English? Or something with Tourist +(welcome/reception) +(agent/operator/ representative/hostess). Do you notice a combination that could work?

cholandesa

Dutch, The Netherlands
    Hi maryam,

What about just saying "Hostess"? To me that describes that whole job spec, it seems superfluous to add all the other adjectives. From the context we'd know that in this case the hostess is going to welcome tourists, right?
    The only problem now is that hostess obviously refers to females only, and if you say "host" I'm not sure if that sounds right, so it's not quite PC..
    http://www.st-barths.com/en/news/280/56/Tourism-Hostess-At-The-Airport.html

Check this link out too, a pretty useful tourism dictionary:
    http://books.google.com.pe/books?id=IbTT1yIfsYIC&pg=PA184&lpg=PA184&dq=tourism+hostess&source=bl&ots=50td3oA2xz&sig=8GYbDoudCXZgYG1f7UQ6C82VWGE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=EhSMU92eM4mosASw8ICIDg&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=tourism hostess&f=false

maryam87

Italiano
    OK, thank you, in the second link I found a definition that could work "A hostess may greet and assist travellers"... So, giving a translation of my course, can I say "Tourist Hostess Course"?

< Previous | Next >