enclose

allen1984

chinese
Hi, everyone

I have got a letter from Natwest about updating my card agreement.

One sentence shown on that letter which I am a little confused about.
---Please find enclosed a leaflet that advises you of forthcoming changes to your card agreement.

Why not an enclosed leaflet ?

For example. If I am writing a letter to my tutor, I would say that I have enclosed a document including every details ................. (So, in this sentence, enclose would be a verb, but the above sentence enclosed is an adjective.)

thanks a lot

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Please find enclosed is another way of saying - Something is enclosed (verb) in this letter.

liliput

U.K. English
    Although it looks a little strange, this is the usual way of referring to items that have been included in an envelope with a letter.
    "Attached" is used in the same way in emails.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    Hi, everyone

I have got a letter from Natwest about updating my card agreement.

One sentence shown on that letter which I am a little confused about.
    ---Please find enclosed a leaflet that advises you of forthcoming changes to your card agreement.

Why not an enclosed leaflet ?

For example. If I am writing a letter to my tutor, I would say that I have enclosed a document including every details ................. (So, in this sentence, enclose would be a verb, but the above sentence enclosed is an adjective.)

thanks a lot

It'll be much easier if you just change the sentence a little bit:
    ---please find a leaflet that's enclosed with the letter that advises you.........

Edit: This is just a way to make you understand better, if it does. I personally wouldn't say anything as long as this.

liliput

U.K. English
    It'll be much easier if you just change the sentence a little bit:
    ---please find a leaflet that's enclosed in the letter that advises you.........

This suggestion looks strange, partly because it's not the standard English usage and partly because the leaflet is enclosed in the envelope not the letter.
    The sentence in the original post is the standard usage and should not be changed.

Packard

USA, English
    A case of a vagrant comma. Put that vagrant in and it reads OK. This phrasing is so common that the writers "hear" the comma automatically and neglect to insert it.

Please find enclosed, a leaflet that advises you of forthcoming changes to your card agreement.

liliput

U.K. English
    A case of a vagrant comma. Put that vagrant in and it reads OK. This phrasing is so common that the writers "hear" the comma automatically and neglect to insert it.

Please find enclosed, a leaflet that advises you of forthcoming changes to your card agreement.

Packard is correct, there should be a comma.

allen1984

chinese
    thanks for your all explanations
    That really makes much better sense for me

as to me, I would rather use "an enclosed leaflet" instead of " enclosed a leaflet".
    But, I will have to use"enclosed a leaflet", becasue it is the common way in the uk.
    Thanks anyway