Enclosed please find the offer letter for your reference.

ILOVEZNZ

China,Mandarin
A few days ago, an employee from a company sent me an email and at the last of his representation he wrote "Enclosed please find the offer letter for your reference", which confused me. I think enclosed is an adjective thus could not be used to modify the word "find". What is more, put the word "please" at the end of the sentence would make more sense to me. So, how about the validity of this type of arrangement of words? I'm looking foward for your advice. Thanks in advance.:)

• Copyright

American English
    It's standard business email English. This longer version might be: Enclosed (attached to this email, you will) find the offer letter for your reference. The "please" is simply a courtesy and should be left where it is.

The "Enclosed" is a holdover from when we enclosed printed material in an envelope.

dukaine

English - American
    The better way to write it would be "Please find the enclosed offer letter for your reference." My experience tells me that not everyone in business actually knows how to write properly ;)

pob14

American English
    The even better way to write it would be "Enclosed (or attached) is . . . " but old habits have a way of sticking around, even if they don't really make much sense.

dukaine

English - American
    The even better way to write it would be "Enclosed (or attached) is . . . " but old habits have a way of sticking around, even if they don't really make much sense.
    I agree. Nowadays people are more concerned with getting the point across.

dukaine

English - American
    Thank you, guys! Do you mean the adjective "Enclosed" served as the subject of the sentence?
    No, it's the adjective that modifies the letter. In my sentence, an understood "you" is the subject, because it's an imperative sentence. In pob14's sentence, the letter is the subject.

Last edited:

Daisies

USA English
    As Copyright said, this is a sort of standard formula for business English. "Enclosed" is describes the offer, but it is not the subject of the sentence. The subject is an unstated "you": "(You) please find the offer."

< Previous | Next >