encouragement prize?? is that proper?

< Previous | Next >

ashbury

Mandarin
Hi all:

In China, when we are going to award someone a prize, there is, apart from the "1st prize", "second prize"..., a kind of prize that is meant to encourage the competitor. That is to say, that guy gets the prize not out of excellence but out of dilligence, assiduousness, etc. So is it proper to call the prize "enouragement prize"? If you have the English counterpart please tell me.

Thank you!!

ashbury

• Hi all:

In China, when we are going to award someone a prize, there is, apart from the "1st prize", "second prize"..., a kind of prize that is meant to encourage the competitor. That is to say, that guy gets the prize not out of excellence but out of dilligence, assiduousness, etc. So is it proper to call the prize "enouragement prize"? If you have the English counterpart please tell me.

Thank you!!

ashbury
    I have seen many references to "encouragement prize" on google, Ashbury, but I don't recall an English equivalent (at least, not from my school days back in the time of Noah.)

I believe prizes were given to "the most improved pupil" as a means of encouraging them. So it would be "Most improved pupil prize."

LRV

ashbury

Mandarin
    I see... Thank you!

ps: If I were to receive a prize called "encouragement prize", I wouldn't be very happy about that, for I can't see my excellence in getting the prize. And "most improved prize" is something different. :)

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Ashbury,

In the US, we have what's called a "Consolation Prize."

It's given to someone who may not win first, second, or third place in a contest, but who is deserving of some kind of recognition for putting forth a lot of positive effort and energy.

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >