encroaching tragedy

< Previous | Next >

ComicMonster

Spanish - Spain
Hello!! I have no clue whatsoever of the possible meaning of encroaching tragedy in the following context:

"Ibsen highlights this, typically perhaps, with the encroaching tragedy –the fact that neither Rosmer nor Rebekka can live with the guilt that is now exposed, that their relationship was to blame for Beata’s suicide".

[The play is Rosmersholm, as you surely have already guessed]

This is my try (but it is really less than a bad joke, I'm afraid, just a trick not to leave simply a shameful blank space there :(): "El dramaturgo resalta este extremo —de un modo quizá muy característico— valiéndose del recurso de la tragedia de enredo: el hecho de que ni Rosmer ni Rebekka puedan soportar la culpa de unos actos que ahora han quedado expuestos a la vista de todos, de que les abrume la circunstancia de que su relación haya sido el elemento desencadenante del suicidio de Beata".

In fact I have a try-2, since I see no clear meaning here and I am just groping in the dark…: "El dramaturgo resalta este extremo —de un modo quizá muy característico— haciendo que la tragedia se apodere del escenario, es decir, haciendo que ni Rosmer ni Rebekka puedan soportar la culpa de unos actos que ahora han quedado expuestos a la vista de todos y que les abrume la circunstancia de que su relación haya sido el elemento desencadenante del suicidio de Beata. ".

Could you throw some light to the meaning of it? Can you see any good translation?

With my greatest thanks to all,

CM

• Chez

English English
    I'd say that here it means something like 'approaching': inminento or que se acerca.

Something 'encroaching' is moving closer to you in an unpleasant way (and will possibly overcome/overwhelm you).

A common (mundane) usage is:

'The fat man sitting next to me on the plane was encroaching into my space with his elbows.'

ComicMonster

Spanish - Spain
    Yes, that would be "invadir" or something like that… And this is the reason I've put que la tragedia se apodere del escenario, meaning that tragedy was somehow "invading" the whole atmosphere of the play…

But I am guesworking, and I just would like to know if that sounds near-correct to a native speaker…

Thanks Chez, :) I gather from your answer that I may consider my "try-2" almost acceptable, right?

< Previous | Next >