End of (military) service celebration

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SLAL, Sep 27, 2015.

1. SLAL Senior Member

FARSI
    Hello

Is there any word in English for when someone celebrates his/her end of military service.

for example, Is it correct to say "end of (military)service celebration/party/feast".

Thank you

2. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    It sounds a little odd. Apart from the fact that we say 'National Service' in BE, I mean.

I had a party to celebrate the end of my National Service.

3. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I think "National Service" is specific to the UK, and we don't have it at the moment anyway.
    Celebration, party, feast - these are not synonyms, though there is some overlap in meaning.

If you do this as a group, maybe: "We held a party to celebrate the end/completion of our military service".
    A feast emphasizes the food, and celebration is more general - it might not involve a party or it might be more than a party.

4. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We have National Service in Singapore on the British model; we would say 'end of NS party' or 'ROD party'. (ROD* = run-out date, meaning the end of NS.)

But Veli is right of course. NS might not be understood elsewhere.

*Officially ORD now (operationally ready date).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Mustering Out Party.

(I made that up for you, but now that I have, I see that it's occasionally used. Attendees can be considered the MOP Detail.)

6. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    We'd probably call it an EAOS* party or retirement party, as appropriate, in the Navy.

* End of Active Obligated Service