End of (military) service celebration

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SLAL, Sep 27, 2015.

1. SLAL Senior Member

Is there any word in English for when someone celebrates his/her end of military service.

for example, Is it correct to say "end of (military)service celebration/party/feast".

Thank you
  2. london calling Senior Member

It sounds a little odd. Apart from the fact that we say 'National Service' in BE, I mean.

I had a party to celebrate the end of my National Service.
  3. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    I think "National Service" is specific to the UK, and we don't have it at the moment anyway.
    Celebration, party, feast - these are not synonyms, though there is some overlap in meaning.

If you do this as a group, maybe: "We held a party to celebrate the end/completion of our military service".
    A feast emphasizes the food, and celebration is more general - it might not involve a party or it might be more than a party.
  4. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We have National Service in Singapore on the British model; we would say 'end of NS party' or 'ROD party'. (ROD* = run-out date, meaning the end of NS.)

But Veli is right of course. NS might not be understood elsewhere.

*Officially ORD now (operationally ready date).
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    Mustering Out Party.

(I made that up for you, but now that I have, I see that it's occasionally used. Attendees can be considered the MOP Detail.)
  6. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

English - US (Midwest)
    We'd probably call it an EAOS* party or retirement party, as appropriate, in the Navy.

* End of Active Obligated Service