End your night with a smash

PAUL B.T.

Spanish
Hi!

Context is here

Andy Gray and Richard Keys' after-dinner speaking flier

The former football presenters, who left Sky in January after a series of sexist incidents, offer to end your clients' evenings 'with a smash'
Guess it means "getting laid"
Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Lis48

English - British
    I can´t imagine it would be as specific as that.
    To me it just means "end with a bang," "end on a high."
    Smash as in a resounding success e.g. the play was a smash on Broadway.

PAUL B.T.

Spanish
    Well, I'll give you further info:rolleyes:
    Read this and tell me what's your guess now, hehe.
    I can´t imagine it would be as specific as that.
    To me it just means "end with a bang," "end on a high."
    Smash as in a resounding success e.g. the play was a smash on Broadway.

Chez

English English
    No, I don't think so. It just means finish the evening (because the speakers speak at the end of the evening) in an exciting way i.e. their speech will be funny, noisy, shocking, exciting etc.

PAUL B.T.

Spanish
    Okie dokie.
    So, it'd be something in the same way as the previous Abellán's sports show "El radiador" which was something like "Gane o pierda tu equipo, te irás a dormir con una sonrisa" Right?

No, I don't think so. It just means finish the evening (because the speakers speak at the end of the evening) in an exciting way i.e. their speech will be funny, noisy, shocking, exciting etc.

Last edited:

Chez

English English
    Again, no, Paul, sorry – after reading your second link. It's a rather sad story about a guy accused of sexism, who denies it.

"smash' has never meant 'sex' or 'getting laid' in English.

PAUL B.T.

Spanish
    Well, since languages are "living creatures" it's kind of useful.
    I mean: how many times have you heard of the "finde" thing when referring to the weekend, for instance?;)

I don´t think anyone should actually believe half the slang on urban dictionary.
    Anyone can submit a made-up word for publication on there and it´s purely for fun.

maxpapic

español - República Dominicana
    I don´t think anyone should actually believe half the slang on urban dictionary.
    Anyone can submit a made-up word for publication on there and it´s purely for fun.
    I'm citing Urbandictionary so you all have somewhere to see it in writing, although admittedly it isn't the best source. I'm 1000% sure it's used on this side though, in a sexual context.

< Previous | Next >