enemy bots

rzezucha

polish
"For the attention training, they played a computer game in which they had to notice when enemy bots slipped into the scene and when their life force was dangerously low, and otherwise pay attention." (Richard J. Davidson 'The emotional life of your brain')

I guess the enemy bots means simply robots? Generally this sentence is not so clear. So the children (who took part in an attention training) had to notice when the robots appeared in the game and when these robots were losing its power (or perhaps the players were losing its power). Ambiguous to me.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Grammatically perhaps it is ambiguous. However, one key distinction between the children and the robots is that robots are generally deemed not to be "alive", so I automatically used the context to link "their life force" with the "they" referring to the children. In such games, the player usually has to pay attention to and monitor their own "life force/health status/points" etc. so that was part of my interpretation of the context.

Myridon

English - US
    In computer gaming jargon, "bots" are computer-controlled characters that have the same role as players. For example, if you are playing a game in which players try to kill each other and you don't have enough people to control all of the player characters, some of the player characters can be played by "bots" controlled by the computer. Since the player characters are generally life forms rather than robots in most games, the "bots" are not represented visually as robots either.

< Previous | Next >