Energy walls

< Previous | Next >

LMatt88

Rioplatense Spanish
Hey everybody. Would "moenia energīae" be a proper translation for energy walls? (as in walls made of energy).
Thanks in advance.

• Scholiast

saluete amici!

I'm unsure what LMatt88 intends 'energy walls' to mean, but I'll do what I can here. moenia (as opposed to muri or parietes) are defensive fortifications around a town or other settlement.

energia is not a Latin word, and is not attested at all in OLD, even as a transliteration from its original Greek, ἐνέργεια. That does not at once rule it out, as Cicero regularly sprinkles his philosophical tracts and letters with Greek words and phrases. Most likely he would write it in Greek (the genitive is τῆς ἐνεργείας), but if he chose to transliterate, he would probably still follow the so-called 'Greek' declension, with energias.

I hope this is of modest help.

Σ

Last edited:

LMatt88

Rioplatense Spanish
    saluete amici!

I'm unsure what LMatt88 intends 'energy walls' to mean, but I'll do what I can here. moenia (as opposed to muri or parietes) are defensive fortifications around a town or other settlement.

energia is not a Latin word, and is not attested at all in OLD, even as a transliteration from its original Greek, ἐνέργεια. That does not at once rule it out, as Cicero regularly sprinkles his philosophical tracts and letters with Greek words and phrases. Most likely he would write it in Greek (the genitive is τῆς ἐνεργείας), but if he chose to transliterate, he would probably still follow the so-called 'Greek' declension, with energias.

I hope this is of modest help.

Σ
    Thanks Scholiast ! it helps a lot

bearded

Since 'energy' should be the matter walls are made of, I wonder if a version ''moenia de energia'' would work. Scholiast's opinion on this would be precious. ''De energia'' would be what we would call ''complement of matter'' here.

Scholiast

saluete de nouo!

dimensional walls
    As in barriers to inter-dimensional 'travel'? My first thought is moenia energetica, but this may seem a bit clumsy. For economy, this could be reduced to moenia ergetica, which would imply much the same (no coincidence that in modern physics, an 'erg' is a unit of energy—etymologically related to English 'work'), but with the additional nuance of 'functional'. Since this is fiction, LMatt88 can use such a term in more or less any sense he may wish.

Σ

Edited afterthought: if my guess is right about what 'dimensional walls' is intended to mean, LMatt88 might think instead of porta ergetica, as inter-dimensional travel, mainly barred by 'walls', would need an 'energy portal' through which to pass.

Last edited:

LMatt88

Rioplatense Spanish
    As in barriers to inter-dimensional 'travel'?
    Oh technically I was looking for a way to define the energetic barriers that divide the dimensions in my comic book. That's why I also chose "moenia" as well instead of someting like murus. I though it would fit nicely with the role of protecting the dimension similar to a structure of a medieval city. :)

< Previous | Next >