enforce a "red line" set, <and then ignored>, by his predecessor

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does it mean that (Trump) acted to enforce the set of "red line", and then ignored the set (This set is set by Obama)?

Thanks in advance
'Assad is trying to kill everyone that survived the chemical attack,' says resident of Syrian town being bombed once again
Mr Trump had ordered the blistering attack on the base in response to the gassing which left 86 dead and hundreds injured, acting to enforce a "red line" set, and then ignored, by his predecessor Barack Obama.

-Telegraph

Source

• Copyright

American English
    acting to enforce a "red line" [that was] set, and then ignored, by his predecessor Barack Obama.

The line was set and ignored by Obama. Trump has enforced it, according to him.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    acting to enforce a "red line" [that was] set, and then ignored, by his predecessor Barack Obama.

The line was set and ignored by Obama. Trump has enforced it, according to him.
    Does "set" here mean "set up"/"established"? Obama set it up yet put it aside later?

Copyright

American English
    Yes and yes. Although I don't know that he set it aside so much as ignored the violation. It's like my drawing a line in the sand and daring you to step over it (with the suggestion that there would be consequences if you did step over it). Then you step over it and I decide not to do anything about the violation.

< Previous | Next >